How to Leave a Lasting Impression on New Employees - Webinar Replay 🔁
How to Leave a Lasting Impression on New Employees
In this webinar, we will dive into how to bolster your organization's process of onboarding your new employees while sending the message that you're excited for them to be there. 🤩
This Webinar was hosted by GoCo.
In this Webinar, you'll walk away with actionable tips you can implement to set your new hires up for success! We'll dive into:
👉 How to uncover the five critical messages that new hires need to hear during their Week 1.
👉 Learn techniques to deliver these messages with impact and authenticity.
👉Discover how to assess the effectiveness of your Week 1 messages and make data-driven refinements that will pave the way for engagement and retention.
👉 ...and more!
Or, if you'd rather read a 30,000-foot view instead, I've got you covered.
Here's the webinar outline and a few slides I shared throughout the presentation. And if you'd like to download the free resource I shared with attendees, scroll to the bottom of the post to get your copy.
According to Gallup, only 1 in 10 employee strongly agree that their organization does a good job onboarding.
BUT employees who strongly agree that their onboarding process was exception are 2x more likely to feel fully prepared to excel in their new role and 2.3x more likely to say their job is as good or better than they expected it to be.
Here are five critical messages that new hires need to hear during their Week 1.
Message #1: "We've been expecting you."
- This first message is SO important as your new hire is taking in so many new things such as new roles, responsibilities, people + relationships, new physical or digital spaces and more.
- Communicate during pre-boarding: roles & responsibilities, people & relationships, the physical or digital space.
- Send this message well by individualizing their first day; those "little things" you do to send the message that you've been expecting them matters!
Message #2: "This is a special place and we do important work."
- Share your ethos-- stories that encapsulate the company's vision, mission and values.
- Invite new hires into traditions, quirks, and differentiating factors.
- Reduce uncertainty about 'how we do things around here' by establishing clear guiding principles for new hires.
Message #3: "Your contributions matter and here's how you fit into the team."
- Only about 50% of employees say they know what is expected of them at work.
- Ask yourself these questions:
- Have I walk through their job description again and discussed how performance will be evaluated?
- Have I communicated what success looks like?
- Do they understand how their role contributes to our overall vision and mission?
- Have I provided all the tools, resources, or access needed to be successful?"
- What other expectations do I have that I haven't communicated?
Message #4: "We care about your growth and your wellbeing."
- Let your new hire know that there are opportunities to learn and grow in this environment.
- Highlight developmental opportunities; such as available training and development initiatives across the employee lifecycle.
- Let your employees know that you prioritize balance and wellbeing.
Message #5: "We're curious what you think and see so far."
- Only 3 in 10 U.S. employees strongly agree that at work, their opinions seem to count.
- Amplify the employee voice; highly engaged employees are 3x more likely to say that they feel heard at their workplace.
- Implement new hire listening by using surveys to access their experience, discover unanswered questions, and make data-informed decisions.
What About the Free Download You Mentioned Earlier?
You got it! Click here to download your copy of the PDF I shared on the 'Week 1 Secrets: How to Leave a Lasting Impression on New Employees' Webinar.
The Individual Development Plan or IDP is a tool used to equip employees to reach short and long-term career goals. It is a great way to start the conversation on how you plan to help in the development of your employees. 📈
I hope that it aids in creating a memorable first week experience for your new hires. 💛
Get My Newsletter Delivered Right to Your Inbox!
Join thousands of People + Culture Leaders investing in their growth and development each week. 🙌🏻
No spam. No selling your info. Just great content.